Monday, February 20, 2012

Day 1-Haiti continued!

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the Public reading of scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect the gift which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and your doctrine closely. Perserve in them, because of you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
1 Timothy 4:12-16

So one thing I didn't write in the last post was the whole first plane ride I was like saying Psalm 91 over and over again to myself. Dude, I wrote it, I read it, I recited it. I probably have it memorized by now, but it helped me get over my fear. The lady next to me thought I was crazy I'm sure. When the plane would drop a little I'd be like thank you Jesus! I'm gonna live! Haha, So read the Bible of your scared! Especially Psalm 91!;)
Today after a short rest we went to the compound that the crusade is gonna be at and we looked around it and got to check it out some. Then we got a tour of the city, it was amazing! There's no stoplights, there's An occasional stop sign, the traffic is kind of like Mexico was, but like no one has a car here there's only taxis and vans on the road. There are stray animals everywhere. There are goats, huge pigs, chickens, cats, dogs, and donkeys. Most are just picking through the piles of trash. The trash piles are just everywhere. There are build ups on sidewalks and in fields, there are several fields where people live in tents, like tents, or tin boxes or cardboard, or tires. Whatever they can get I guess. They live in trash! It's amazing their houses are as big as my bathroom at home, and that's pretty tiny! I wonder how a whole family fits in one and sleeps! People walk down the sidewalks dressed up and out in their nice clothes, but it's a little controversial condsidering that they're walking through trash. On our tour we stopped by the ocean and got out of our van, all these kids came up to me and wanted me to take their pictures. So I took several and they were so friendly! Like 6 of them were following me. It was so funny! The smallest boy kept asking me for agua, I was like I don't have any. It was so sad, it makes you want to give them all your water! They will beg you for water, not just money but water! How much do we take the simple facet in our kitchen for granted? The security guard we were with eventually told us that we needed to get to the bus like now, so we did, but we were just standing on the street and more and more people were gathering! More kids! More people! It would be very easy to start a mob here! There apparently isn't a government here, there's these UN guards who sit around holding guns and talking. The don't seem to be very effective. Like the people listen to them, it's just they Don't do anything! It's awful. I actually got a picture with one of the UN guards, he had a gun and everything! Whoo!;)

No comments:

Post a Comment